Şirin Tekeli School of Politics (2018)
As Association for Support of Women Candidates, since 1997, we have been working for ensuring equal representation of women within decision-making mechanisms that were participated in by elections and assignments. In addition to the various activities, campaigns, training and projects that we have been conducting to ensure more women to participate in politics and to empower women in politics, we move forward with Şirin Tekeli School of Politics.
Şirin Tekeli School of Politics, which we will actualize in 2018 by cooperating with Okan University, Toros University, Kadir Has University and Çukurova University, is a long-term certificate program that will last for 10 weeks. The details of the program can be found below.
Objectives of the Program:
The objective of Şirin Tekeli School of Politics is to contribute to increase the number of female politicians, who have gender equality perspective in participating in decision-making mechanisms.
Specific Objectives of the Program:
- To be able to ensure all the participants to meet on “common ground of womanhood”, despite the differences in their political views.
- To increase the proportion of women represented in political leadership opportunities through general and local elections.
- To create a pool of women / parliamentary candidates, who are active in politics and are from different political parties.
- To ensure dialogue between women from different political parties.
- To strengthen the participants in politics, and in order to ensure this, to provide them with theoretical and practical knowledge and with experience support.
- To raise awareness of the participants regarding politics, woman policy and gender issues.
Characteristics of the Program:
Şirin Tekeli School of Politics certificate program lasts 10 weeks. Language of the program is Turkish. Each session ends with Q&A. Participants of the program shall meet the minimum standard of 80% for attendance in order for being awarded with the certificate at the completion of the program.
Content of the Program:
In School of Politics, which is a long term program, the most important political issues of Turkey are assessed in line with the events and process from past to present. The content of the School of Politics program, which varies between universities, comprises the following main topics.
- Main Concepts in Politics
- Election Systems
- Political Life in Turkey
- Public Policies
- Economic Policies in Turkey
- Social Policies in Turkey
- Digital Campaigning Achievements
- Women Friendly Cities
- Political Participation and Pluralism
- Women’s Movement in Turkey
- Experience Sharing